Benzalkonium Chloride Hand Sanitizer Antibacterial Effect
Benzalkonium chloride bak otherwise known as alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride is a toxic chemical used in cosmetics it is a antimicrobial agent deodorant surfactant and a preservative.
Benzalkonium chloride hand sanitizer antibacterial effect. Recently alcohol free hand sanitizers with triclosan or benzalkonium chloride have been gaining ground due to concerns that ethanol is dries out the skin is too toxic and there are frequent cases of intentional ingestion 10 14 17. Since the outbreak of covid 19 sales of hand sanitizers have soared. Manufacturers add other ingredients for various reasons. Researchers at the los alamitos unified school district in california conducted a five week study in 2001 and found that students who used hand sanitizer containing benzalkonium chloride at scheduled times each day were 33 percent less likely to be absent due to illness.
This study was performed to evaluate the effectiveness of a new commercially available hand sanitizer using 0 12 benzalkonium chloride bzk as the active ingredient in reducing transient skin contamination with staphylococcus aureus in health care workers hcws as compared with the effectiveness of a 70 ethanol based hand sanitizer. Demonstrating the persistent antibacterial efficacy of a hand sanitizer containing benzalkonium chloride on human skin at 1 2 and 4 hours after application author links open overlay panel sidney w. A hand sanitizer monograph. These include additional agents which are active against viruses or bacteria such as chlorhexidine or benzalkonium chloride.
As a cationic detergent in the family of quaternary ammonium compounds benzalkonium chloride bzk shows strong antiseptic activity against both gram positive and negative bacteria. It works by killing microorganisms and inhibiting their future growth and for this reason frequently appears as an ingredient in antibacterial hand wipes antiseptic creams and anti itch ointments. What is benzalkonium chloride used for. Ingredients such as glycerol.
However a potential negative effect is that the active ingredients will irritate the skin because of their continued presence on the skin surface. Duley bs b john w. Benzalkonium chloride is primarily used as a preservative and antimicrobial agent and secondarily used as a surfactant. Benzalkonium chloride has repeatedly demonstrated its toxic characteristics in laboratory experimental and clinical studies.
Hand hygiene says it s difficult to assess the effectiveness of alcohol free hand sanitizers because no standardized ingredient exists 1 2. These ingredients are also key in non alcohol based sanitisers. Bondurant md a collette m. Aden andrus academic medical research technical 3.
The antimicrobial effects of quaternary ammonium compounds qacs such as benzalkonium chloride were first described in the 1900s. It s become such a sought after product that pharmacies and supermarkets have started limiting the number that people can.
- What Brand Of Hand Sanitizer Is The Best To Use
- What Is In Alcohol Free Hand Sanitizer
- What Are The Ingredients In Purell Hand Sanitizer
- What Happens When You Eat Hand Sanitizer
- What Hand Sanitizer Is Best
- What Germs Are Not Killed By Hand Sanitizer
- What Is The Recommended Concentration Of An Alcohol Based Hand Sanitizer
- What Is The Best Hand Sanitizer On The Market
- What Germs Does Hand Sanitizer Not Kill
- What Is The Best Hand Sanitizer Gift
- What Hand Sanitizer Kill Mrsa
- What Does Hand Sanitizer Do To Your Hair
- What Is In Purell Hand Sanitizer
- What Aisle Is Hand Sanitizer In
- What Is The Strongest Hand Sanitizer
- What Is More Effective Hand Sanitizer Or Soap
- What Hand Sanitizer Is Used In Hospitals
- What If My Child Ate Hand Sanitizer
- What Does Hand Sanitizer Taste Like
- What Happens If You Get Hand Sanitizer In Your Eye